Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Binary Expression

The personal computer is used to amplify human potential. It is an intellectual laboratory and vehicle for self-expression.. The computer makes it possible for students to learn in ways unimaginable just a few years ago. I agree with this position thoroughly. Computers can accommodate learners of all styles. There are many different types of software available, and more are created every day.
I remember being introduced to computer games like Oregon Trail and Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego? when I was merely in grade school. Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego is a game where players try to stop the evil villain Carmen before she causes trouble. The game teaches math, history, geography, English and various other subjects in a way that just feels like playing. We wrote our alphabet and learned cursive handwriting, but as I got older, technology was incorporated more and more using these games and the implementation of computer literacy classes where typing became the norm. I also remember having to hand write essays for credit. This was before every child had access to a computer let alone the internet. Now, everything you do has to be typed, or submitted online.
I believe the personal computer can be used to amplify human potential. Textbooks are only two-dimensional when it comes to learning. A computer can create an entire virtual environment. Swedish neuroscientist, Daphne Bavelier presented research in a video by Ted Talks suggesting that playing video games, in particular, Call of Duty, will improve eyesight. This goes against the theory that playing video games is bad for eyesight. She argued that gamers have better vision because of their ability to distinguish gray-scale and their higher capacity for detail. This supports the idea that computers and technology aid in efficiency, productivity, and creativity.
         Computers are great for every type of learning style. They can facilitate learning for the visual, auditory,

and  kinetic learner, all at one time. Technology helps develop creativity by allowing students to now have
 
access to programs like Powerpoint and Photoshop where they can express their ideas visually. They can 

create original content and then share their creations virtually, all around the globe. Blogging also helps 

students become better writers, even though paper and pen are absent. It allows them to openly share their 

ideas and thoughts with their peers and subject them to critique. Students learn through creativity. When 

students are engaged, they retain information easier. If given the opportunity to be creative, they can find new

and alternate ways to think critically and solve problems. 

 After visiting the writing center, I edited my essay to be more solid. I added more facts, correct names, and personal experiances. It helped a lot to have a peer help me pick over what needed to be strengthened.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting that the game you played on the computer used so many skills at once. I wouldn't change anything about your essay, it was really good!

    ReplyDelete