Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Learning Styles Don't Exist

The way you think about a problem is important in how you learn. Most of what you learn is meaning based. Multiple Intelligence Theory comes out of psychology. It states that individuals have 8 different strengths, different intelligences.

Unless individuals take an active role in learning, the information disappears. If you don't use it, you lose it. Students have a superficial level of knowledge. We cover too much material, too fast. Perhaps we should focus on students unique abilities and traits early on and expand them.

Learning Styles and MI(Multiple Intelligence) Theory do exist. They are common place teaching styles int he classroom. I believe they can be beneficial to students because it is important to give them a variety of ways to receive and process information. I do believe that it is important not to classify students into specific intelligence types or learning styles. Limits and boundaries are not something we want to encourage while teaching. However, I do believe these ideas and theories are helpful because they give a plethora of options to teach the mandatory material. In the future, I could use blogs or self-paced internet research to help with Intrapersonal Intelligence. Music generation software can be used to help all students, especially Rythmic learners. Teleconferencing and other interactive collaboration help Existentialists enhance their philosophical expression and ideals. Using microscopes, probes and GPS, we can help Naturalists expand their ability to read the world around them.
There are many examples of how teachers can use technology for these specific learning styles. I think it is important to keep in mind that all students can and should benefit from all of these styles. They are all relevant to exploring and understanding the world around our students and ourselves.




1 comment:

  1. I am interested to know that you also think that it is important not to classify students in specific intelligence types or learning styles because it puts limits or boundaries on them. How would you use technology to help benefit all your students?

    ReplyDelete